Born in Hampshire in 1953, Michael Lewis read Oriental Studies and then, as a second degree, Theology at Merton College Oxford and at Cuddesdon Theological College. After ordination in 1978 he served successively as a curate, a college chaplain, and a parish priest in South London in the Diocese of Southwark, before becoming team rector, rural dean, and finally canon in the Diocese of Worcester, where he also chaired the synodical House of Clergy and the Advisory Committee for the Care of Churches.
From 1999 to 2007 he was Bishop of Middleton, a large, mainly urban area from the centre of Manchester to the top of the Pennines. He was Warden of Readers and Lay Eucharistic Assistants and chaired the Board of Education. Nationally his responsibilities included church colleges and universities and higher education generally, and latterly he was a governing trustee of St Michael’s Theological College, Llandaff, in the Church in Wales.
Bishop Michael remains Bishop-Visitor to the Sisters of the Love of God, an Anglican community of nuns at Fairacres Convent in Oxford. He is a member of the International Commission for Anglican-Orthodox Theological Dialogue, and a board member of the Al Amana Interfaith Centre in the Sultanate of Oman. He also represents the Province of Jerusalem and the Middle East on the Anglican Consultative Council.
Bishop Michael and Julia have three children, Paul, Eleanor, and George (who died in 2017), and three grandsons, Jacob, Harry and Reuben, and one granddaughter, Isobel.
Bishop Michael with his father, John, and Revd Wendy Hough on Easter Day 2015 at St Andrew’s Kyrenia.
Bishop Michael and his wife Julia at Synod 2014