The Gulf Archdeaconry
Our diocese has worshipping communities throughout the Arabian peninsula.
Welcome to the Archdeaconry of The Gulf
Uniquely situated, the Diocese of Cyprus and the Gulf is located in 8 countries across the Middle East, with 14 church compounds.
St. Christopher’s Cathedral in Bahrain provides a historic focal point for Anglican worship in the region. Inclusive and diverse, our international congregations are actively involved in community, cooperation, and growing together in faith.
- Christ Church, Aden
- Church of the Epiphany, Doha
- St George, Baghdad
- St Paul, Kuwait
- The Protestant Church in Oman
- Abu Dhabi
Bill Schwartz was born in 1952 in Omaha, Nebraska, USA.
- 1970-1975: Bachelor of Arts degrees in English Literature and Philosophy from Tarkio College, Tarkio, Missouri
- 1973-1977: Director of the overseas study programme of Tarkio College in Alexandria, Egypt
- 1977-1981: Administrator and Assistant Director, Institute of Middle East Studies, Skouriotissa, Cyprus
- 1981-1989: Director of Research (Middle East) for ‘Open Doors’, Limassol, Cyprus
- 1986-1999: Limassol: Chairman of the House of Laity of the Diocesan Synod, Assistant Treasurer of the Diocese, lay member of the Provincial Synod, lay member of the Diocesan Standing Committee of the Diocese. Nicosia: Diocesan Secretary/Treasurer
- 1993: Ordained deacon in Larnaca, Cyprus
- 1993 (August): Ordained priest at All Hallows by the Tower
- 1999-2007: Rector, Canterbury Group (Saudi Arabia)
- 2006 (February 6): Made Canon of St Christopher’s Cathedral, Bahrain
- 2007-2014: Senior Chaplain, Qatar
- 2007-present: Provincial Treasurer
- 2009: Appointed as Archdeacon in the Gulf
- 2013: Awarded DMin at Nashotah House Seminary, USA
Archdeacon Bill is married to Edith and they have four children: Ann, Tobias, Luke and Katherine.